Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January 27

Genesis 28 I tend to be grumpy on occasion, just ask my wife. When my kids started having kids, they asked me, “What do you want your grandchildren to call you?” I told them, “Grumps.” For some reason or other Caedie in particular has attached herself to me. They were with us this weekend. Caedie wasn’t feeling too great. Often she would call out, “Gumps! Gumps!,” (she can’t pronounce the ‘gr’ yet) or, “Gumps, help!” Often times she just wanted to be held. She just wanted to know that I was with her. There is something about knowing that you are not alone that really helps, especially when you are sick or in new situation, or in a situation that challenges you. I am not sure exactly how old Jacob was when he set out for Padan Aram, but consider this: He was 130 years old in Gen. 47:9. Assuming that this occurred shortly after Jacob moved into Egypt, Joseph was roughly 39 years old at this point. That would mean that Jacob was roughly 91 when Joseph was born. Jacob was in Padan Aram 20 years. Joseph was born toward the end of that time. It would appear that Jacob was around 71 when he left home for Padan Aram. Depending upon how one interprets the description of how long Jacob worked for Laban, the youngest that Jacob could be when he left home is 57, most likely he was 71. Not exactly a spring chicken in either case! Hmm. . . So, here we have a single 71-year-old Jacob, who has just embarked on a mission to obtain a wife with whom he may produce heirs to the Abrahamic Covenant. He is leaving because his brother is mad enough with him that he is contemplating killing him, but the official reason is to find a wife suitable for the covenant. Yet in the midst of this horrible conflict with his brother, a conflict caused by his own conniving, being on his own for the first time at the age of 57 or 77, God meets him in a dream. There God promises him, “I will be with you!” I am sure that was welcome assurance. What mercy on the part of the Lord! Jacob in no way deserved such comfort. Yet, God extended it. This same phrase is used to describe Joseph’s lot when he was made a slave and in jail, “God was with Him.” That promise alone should be enough. Often, it is not enough. For this reason the writer of Hebrews tells us, “Hebrews 13:5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” The God, who created the universe, is with me. That should be enough! But, like Caedie, sometimes I cry out to him, “Help!” Sometimes I just want Him to be there. Sometimes, I need some specific help, but it is to His glory that He is always there. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today! --Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment