Monday, January 23, 2012

January 23

Psalm 23
Hands down, this is one of the most popular and widely used portions of Scripture to encourage and bring comfort to people. It is widely used to read at funerals and to read at times of extreme health problems. I have had friends who raised sheep. I have read Phillip Keller’s A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23. It is not very flattering to be called a sheep. Sheep are dumb, defenseless, dirty (3D) animals that require constant attention if the flock is to be prosperous. David knew that as a shepherd. That is why he picked shepherd as a metaphor concerning the relationship between God and himself and His people. You see the focus of the Psalm is to explain what God is like in relation to His people. The focus is God. If we are talking about how great God is in comparison to us, then it is an appropriate metaphor.
It is His greatness that feeds, waters and restores our souls. He is the One who makes me capable of living a righteous life. When I have no ability to walk righteously, He enables me. When death surrounds me or my loved ones, He is with me. His tools of correction and protection are ever with me. Even when I am surrounded by enemies, He enables me to relax and I can eat without threat of them. Sheep often have problems with parasites invading the ears. The result could drive a sheep insane with the irritation. Oil poured in the ear would drown the parasite and bring relief. His anointing oil brings healing to the irritations of life brought to me by parasites. He gives me more than enough to satisfy my thirsty life. Goodness and mercy are always following me. To top it off, I get to go live in His house when I die. What more could I ask? All of this is because of His Glory! . Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment