Thursday, December 1, 2011

December 1

Malachi 1
Can I rest in the simple fact that He loves me? At the same time, can I dwell in the knowledge that He is a great King? Often times we let our thoughts be channeled by the world. Love according to the world is demonstrated by what one provides for the object of one’s love. Does love provide the right kind of housing? Does it provide food in proper quantities and taste? Does it provide the right clothing? Does it provide recreational activities desired? Does it provide time? When God says that He loves the poor of this world, and they remain in poverty (by our standards) does that mean that He does not love them? At what point do our needs have to be met in order for us to feel that God has demonstrated that He loves us? The word is very clear, “God demonstrates His own love for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” And again the Scripture says, “He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?” The greatest demonstration that He loves us is the cross. The greatest demonstration that He hates sin is the cross. Is it not interesting that to us, whom He loves, He says, “Take up your cross and follow Me.” The voice of love incarnate says, “Take up your cross and follow Me.” It is not about houses, food, clothes, recreation or even time. It is about giving ourselves. He did it first; we simply follow.
So is he a great King? Do I really believe that He is a great King who loves me and will freely give me all things that are necessary to demonstrate that love? When I hang on to the things of this world, as did the people in Malachi’s day, rather than letting everything go to His hand, I am demonstrating that I believe one of two things, 1) He really doesn’t love me, or 2) He really is not great enough to meet my need. My mind tells me both of those statements are wrong. My flesh continues to grasp at the things of this world. That is why He says, “Take up your cross, and follow me.” I won’t win the struggle unless the flesh is crucified with Christ. He really does love, and He really is great, but He will not force me to let go. He wants me to voluntarily go to the cross. His glory wins the struggle. Indeed, we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment