Friday, March 19, 2010

March 17, 2010

Mark 15:1-25
I've been told by a couple of people that I am scary. Now that surprises me. I certainly don't view myself as scary. I don't try to be scary. I don't sit around thinking up evil plans. I really try to follow the Lord's command on thinking on things that are of value and of good repute. When I do have occasions where I become aware that I am thinking about someone who has wronged me, I really do try to forgive them and pray prayers of blessing for them. Someone once told me that I am viewed as being scary because I am quiet. In general I am quiet because I really have nothing to say that I think is of value. It’s kind of like that commercial for the movie Nemo. Remember Dora's line in the commercial? It was, "Nothin' in the noggin." That is usually why I am quiet, "Nothin' in the noggin." If there is nothing of value to say, then why say anything? Apparently, that is very disturbing to some people.
Jesus was being tried. In today's passage He answers only one of Pilate's questions, "Are you the King of the Jews?"
Jesus' answer is five simple words in English (two in Greek), "It is as you say." In Mark's passage nothing else of Jesus speech is recorded until He is on the cross. It was disturbing to Pilate. He couldn't understand why a man being charged with crimes that could take his life would not defend Himself. Was it because there was nothin' in the noggin? Jesus had plenty of value to say. He could have spoken words that would have gained His release, had he chosen to speak them. What was going on in Jesus' mind? Why was He quiet? He came to die. His will was being played out by being quiet. His mind was active. What was going on in His mind during this time?
Was Jesus contemplating the sin of the Chief Priests or Pilate? Was He wondering upon the cry of the crowds to crucify Him? Was He fixed on Judas' betrayal or Peter's denial? Was He focused upon the torture of the soldiers? Maybe He was dwelling upon what He saw in the cup in the Garden of Gethsemane. Perhaps He thought of the coming Father's rejection of Him. I think Hebrews 12:2 hints at the answer, "who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame." He was simultaneously aware of the pain and shame that He was enduring and of the joy that it would accomplish. He knew it would not be long and He would be seated once again at the Father's right hand. What joy would be there! Joy would be there because He would have accomplished the Father's will and purchased our redemption! He could see what His death and resurrection would affect in my life. My sin would be gone. I would have His righteousness! That would bring Him joy. Yes He was fully aware of the pain. But He was focused upon the joy to come.
There was plenty in His noggin. Part of what was there were thoughts of joy about the Father, about you and me and about the billions of people that He was redeeming. The next time that you are in pain, especially because of something somebody else has done, think upon the glory of Jesus. In the midst of His pain He thought of the joy to come. He thought of you. In your pain, think of Him and the joy to come. When there is nothing in the noggin, why not consider His glory. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment